Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Although there was quite a bit of this reading that I didn’t understand (at least to the extent that he meant it) I really enjoyed it. The part were he said that man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present was another good reminder for me. Especially now with everything that is going on and I have this feeling of complete overwhelm its good to sit back relax and enjoy today with out thinking about the things you have to do tomorrow or the mistakes we made yesterday. Really enjoy today and LIVE. It’s hard to do. “There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence.” I don’t agree completely that we should forget about history or past. I think that it is helpful to the soul to learn from history and from ancestors, to learn about their mistakes, and their accomplishments. I agree that we should not live in shame or be afraid to say “I think” or “I am”. I think that our history shapes who we are but it doesn’t have to be a trap that means that is who we have to be. If we use our past and our history to really enjoy this life history is good. I also think that we need to live mindful of the future, not only ours but the future of this earth and of our children.
I also got a lot out of the sentence: “Crime and punishment grow out of one stem. Punishment is a fruit that unsuspected ripens within the flower of the pleasure which concealed it.” I have never really thought about cause and effect this way or about the laws of nature for that matter. I have always had knowledge of “what goes around comes around” but never really thought of it that way. I really like the way he put that.

No comments:

Post a Comment